Preserving Funeral Flowers for Long-Lasting Memories
Dec 21, 2023
The loss of a loved one is a difficult and painful experience. During this time, funeral flowers serve as a beautiful tribute to the deceased and a source of comfort for the grieving family and friends. Preserving these flowers can help to create lasting memories and honor the life of the departed. At Artisan Palace, we understand the importance of preserving funeral flowers, and we have compiled this guide to assist you in preserving these precious blooms.
Why Preserve Funeral Flowers?
A funeral is a significant event that brings together loved ones to pay tribute to the deceased. Flowers play a crucial role in expressing emotions, offering condolences, and providing comfort. Preserving funeral flowers allows you to cherish the memories associated with the funeral and create a lasting memento that can be displayed in your home or kept as a keepsake.
Methods of Preserving Funeral Flowers
Pressing flowers is one of the oldest and simplest methods of preservation. To press funeral flowers, start by placing the flowers between two pieces of absorbent paper, such as blotting paper or parchment paper. Place the flower-filled paper inside a heavy book and leave it pressed for several weeks. Once the flowers are completely dried, you can use them for various purposes, such as framing or creating personalized art pieces.
Drying funeral flowers is another popular method of preservation. There are several techniques you can use to dry flowers:
- Hanging: Gather the flowers in small bunches and hang them upside down in a dark, well-ventilated area. This method preserves the natural shape of the flowers and allows them to dry naturally.
- Silica Gel: Silica gel is a desiccant that absorbs moisture from flowers while maintaining their shape. Place the flowers in an airtight container with silica gel and leave them for a few days until they are fully dry.
- Pressing and Drying: Combine pressing and drying methods for a quicker result. Press the flowers for a few days to remove excess moisture and then finish the drying process by hanging them upside down or using silica gel.
3. Resin Casting
Resin casting is an advanced preservation technique that allows you to encapsulate funeral flowers in a clear resin. This method creates stunning and durable keepsakes that resemble delicate glasswork. To preserve flowers using resin casting, you will need to mix and pour resin into a mold. Once the resin starts to harden, carefully place the flowers in the mold, arranging them as desired. Allow the resin to cure fully, and you will have a beautiful, long-lasting piece of art.
Regardless of the preservation method you choose, here are some important tips to ensure successful preservation:
- Select the flowers carefully: Choose fully bloomed flowers that are at their peak freshness and beauty.
- Remove excess foliage: Trim any excess leaves or thorns from the flowers before preservation.
- Handle with care: Be gentle when handling the delicate flowers to avoid damage or breakage.
- Allow ample drying time: Patience is key when preserving funeral flowers. Rushing the process may lead to unsatisfactory results.
- Store in a suitable location: After preservation, keep your flowers away from direct sunlight, excessive humidity, and extreme temperature changes to maintain their color and shape.
Ways to Display Preserved Funeral Flowers
Once you have successfully preserved your funeral flowers, there are several creative ways to display them:
- Shadow Box: Arrange the preserved flowers in a shadow box along with other meaningful items, such as a photograph or a piece of jewelry.
- Wall Art: Frame the preserved flowers and hang them on a wall to create a stunning focal point in any room.
- Memorial Jewelry: Incorporate the preserved flowers into custom-made memorial jewelry, such as resin pendants or bracelets.
- Ornamental Decorations: Use the preserved flowers as decorative accents for special occasions, such as weddings or anniversaries.
- Keepsake Boxes: Place the preserved flowers in a beautiful keepsake box and store them safely as a treasured memento.
Preserving Memories for a Lifetime
Preserving funeral flowers allows you to keep cherished memories alive and honor the life of your loved one. Whether you choose to press, dry, or use resin casting, the preservation process is a personal journey that helps you find solace during the grieving process. At Artisan Palace, we believe in the power of preserving memories through floral art. Choose the preservation method that resonates with you and create a beautiful keepsake that will last a lifetime.
For more information about preserving funeral flowers or to explore our selection of memorial keepsakes, visit Artisan Palace today.